Aesop's Fables Writing Contest
AACT Young Performers present Animal Fables from Aesop in March of 2018. To encourage young writers, we want to combine live theater with original writing. So, we invite YOU to create Animal Fables from...YOU! Open for all writers ages 5-18. The winning fables will be brought to life, and performed by the AACT Young Performers!
Rules for your Aesop's style animal fable:
- All work must be in a story format and completely original, including the wording of the moral.
- The Fables must teach a moral lesson. Fables can discourage vices or encourage virtues.
- The moral must be stated at the end of the fable.
- Fables need to be at least 50 words, and no longer than 300.
- In order for us to bring the stories to life, you must use the animals that are already in the play:
- Lamb, Wolf, 2 Mice, Goat, Fox, Cat, Dog, Hare, Tortoise, Crow
- You must use at least one of these animals in your fable; you do not need to include all of them.
- The fables will be sorted into these age groups:
- We reserve the right to adjust these ages groups if necessary depending on the number of entries we receive.
- Stories will be judged on creativity, originality, and the strength of the moral being taught.
- The name and age of the author, and an email address where we can contact you must be included.
- The judging will be blind. Each fable will be assigned a number; the judges will not have access to personal information.
- There will be no monetary awards associated with this contest.
- We reserve the right to alter the winning fables, only in such a way as to be able to perform them on stage.
- We reserve the right to perform the winning fables at publicity events, and in conjunction with our scheduled performances of “Animal Fables by Aesop” with no monetary compensation for the author.
- We reserve the right to publish the winning fables with the authors’ names in the program, or a small keepsake booklet that will be available to all patrons that attend. There may be a small fee for this booklet.
- After the run of “Animal Fables by Aesop,” AACT will not own, or use any of the fables without express permission from the author.
- All fables need to be submitted to email@example.com by December 15th, 2017. You can also use the contact form below to easily send your fable.
- For more information contact Melanie Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org.